Sunday, September 19, 2010

Mike Mulligan

This week we started a new curriculum (although, we are still doing Math-U-See and A Reason for Handwriting/Spelling)

Five in a Row!

~

This is awesome. Each week we have a new book, and do projects in five different disciplines (social studies/geography, language arts, art, math, and science), all relating back to the story. I chose to incorporate lapbooks, because it keeps all of our components in one place, and let's face it, I like things that way!

~

We started out with Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. Over the course of the week, and with just this one story, Hunter explored steam powered machines, learned about stewardship, measured squares, wrote about personification and character traits, and drew trees from both aerial and close-up perspectives!

~

I took a few videos of Hunter giving a 'tour' of his first five-in-a-row lapbook. A few disclaimers:

-please excuse the pj shirt :o)

- I swear on McDonald's Frappes that I did not tell him to say all that stuff about having fun doing projects with his mom... if you listen closely, you can hear me melting behind the camera :o)

~

~

~

~

I printed off all of the lapbook components from HomeSchool Share - they have GREAT five in a row resources!

I can't wait to start this week's book - How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World!

No comments:

Post a Comment